Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

Convenient Christianity





While visiting friends in Virginia I was asked what I thought was the biggest problem within the church. The answer came to mind with ease. I believe it is lack of community. In American we are ingrained with two principles that are pervasive in our culture. One of these principles believes that I am an independent individual. My voice is just as important as anyone else. I am a part of a democracy so my opinion has equal weight in any situation. Therefore I have no responsibility to follow or support those with whom I have a difference of opinion. The support of the community and the commitment to others is dependent upon how I feel not upon my relationship to the community, body of believers, or the church fellowship I choose to join with. This way if I do not “feel” that I agree with something, I can walk away with no thought of what that might mean to others. The second grows out of the first. My perceived needs supersede all others. What’s in it for me is all that matters. Therefore, if my perceived needs or even wants are not met I am free to look elsewhere. My commitment is a matter of what is convenient for me and my family.



Paul uses an obvious illustration in 1 Corinthians 12 of the body to help us understand the way a group of believers is to function. A term we often use to describe the fellowship or church we are apart of. We are a part of the Body of Christ. It should seem pretty easy to figure out that the members of the body are dependent and supportive of the other parts. Paul makes it clear that we all have different functions, gifts, and abilities. It doesn’t give us the impression that the body votes to see if the hand will swat the mosquito or if the eye will water when assaulted by dust. Feet do not decide that they disagree with the direction of the body and wander off to join another body. After all three feet over there would be better than two over here besides this body doesn’t appreciate me so off I go. If you are not very biologically oriented God has that covered as well. Peter uses the illustration of a building and we are the living stones that make up the building, 1 Peter 2:5. A building, by the way, that is to be a spiritual house and a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. So if you are into building instead of biology the picture is one of mutual dependence and support. Each stone has a responsibility to the other stones to hold them up, be held up or support the ones next to you. If you start pulling stones out of a wall it is only a matter of time before it collapses. All those unique misshaped stones placed together by the Master’s hand produces a building that is a marvel to behold and brings glory to the builder. A crumbling wall brings recognition only to the destroyer of unity and the ministry of the “Spiritual Building”. Our good old American independence has fractured the Building and crippled the Body. We become ineffective and isolated broken stones. After over 40 years of following Christ I have seen more church splits that I would care to remember. Out of them all I can think of 2 that involved a Biblical basis, the rest were simply unhappy people who did not get their way. Their commitment to themselves outweighed the commitment to the local Body of Christ. Thus they departed after making sure their dissatisfaction was well know no matter who it hurt.



Now I know this is not new. Every book in the New Testament contains instruction on how to get along and gives clear evidence that followers of Christ have always had this problem. The record of Hebrew history from Genesis to Malachi yields the same conundrum. We just are so self centered we do not get along. My need, my way, my opinion, my choice of color for the nursery is all that matters, and if I do not get it the leadership is oppressive and I will move on. Commitment is hard to fine in much of what is called Christianity. It has been this way for all too long but it seems to have become magnified in my generation. Our commitment is tied to convenience and personal feelings rather than the needs and support of those around us. So corporate worship is based on what fits into my schedule. Baseball, ballet recitals, birthday parties, jobs and a plethora of activities often take priority. Plan an event, be it a picnic, outreach, workday, plans to help someone move or fix a garage roof for a needy family and the response is “if I have time’ or I don’t know if we will be there it depends on what comes up.”  "If it is convenient and doesn’t interfere with the rest of my life I will be a part of the Body that day. But it depends on what else I might want to do". Again I understand and know of the sports schedules and all the events the world puts on days of worship but perhaps it shows where our commitments really are. God is gracious, God understands. Way more than the little league coach. If we are late Billy won’t get to play. God’s grace gives me the freedom to be with the Body of Christ at my convenience. God will just have to wait until after the season is over.



Families can be more demanding than coaches, at times. So family events are scheduled for Sunday at noon, or 11:00 AM and don’t be late for the birthday party, anniversary, graduation, Christmas dinner etc. etc. We don’t want to offend and say “Sorry, but we are committed to the Lord and our church family so we will get there as soon as we can. Our time of Worship each week is a priority for our family. Maybe we could have the party at 2 instead of 12?” But, no, we don’t want to make it inconvenient for the family, "Thank God I believe in Convenient Christianity and a God of grace who requires so little of me." Sometimes I wonder how “lukewarm” our faith is becoming.  

No comments:

Post a Comment