Pages

Monday, April 25, 2016

Trapped By the Truth

We live in a world where truth is relative or even irrelevant. No one really expects a politician to be honest. Used car sales people have had a reputation for shading the truth from the sale of the first used car. Life is filled with "little white lies" and compromise. Even for those who claim to be followers of God honesty and promise keeping has taken a pretty severe hit. Integrity is often hard to find. However, truth is important. Yeshua proclaimed that He was the Truth (John 14:6). He also told us "the truth shall set you free" (John 8:32). In contrast, the Master said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin" (John 8:34). No one wants to be a slave. Freedom is far more desirable than servitude. So give me truth so I can be free. The followers of Messiah Jesus are supposed to know real freedom, right? But what of all those places Paul calls himself a "bondslave" as do Peter and James. Where is the freedom in that?

I know that the American idea of freedom, "doing what ever you want", is not the freedom that the Lord spoke of. I am aware that Paul speaks of being free from sin and death. Which, by the way, is a great freedom to cherish. Yet, the truth is, I have studied the scriptures for about fifty-eight years, seeking to know the truth. In the process I often feel more trapped than I have felt in years. In some ways, the more I search for truth more constricted I become. To be completely honest, life was easier when I just accepted what I had been told.

My problem rests with the Bereans. Those folks in Acts 17:11. Luke writes this about them, "these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so." Search the Scriptures, not the commentaries or by listening to sermons or accepting traditions. Back to the Scriptures. It has been a challenge for me to take a fresh look. It is a greater challenge to consider the culture, the writer, and the audience who first heard the words or read the letter. There is so much personal baggage and accumulated learning that gets in my way. I no longer feel free to just accept what I hear or read. I can no longer listen to radio preachers in blissful ignorance and acceptance. No, now I am trapped with the thought, "Is that really true?". "Maybe the cross is more about conquering death than forgiving sin". "What did Paul mean when he said Christ died for our sins "According to the Scriptures"? The "according to the Scriptures" that I read in Leviticus has little resemblance to the events of the cross. Just how does that fit with what I thought I knew?

Then there is that whole "grafted in" thing. Add to that, Paul tells the Ephesian Gentiles they are no longer "far off" but now "drawn near" and a part of the commonwealth of Israel. I am still not sure what all of that means, but it seems to indicate that I am more Jewish than I thought I was. Now, for me, I am no longer free to eat unclean food. For me, I am no longer free to ignore Yom Kippur. It has become a day of fasting and prayer for the nation. I have been prompted by the Spirit to avoid leaven this week in honor of the feast of unleavened bread. I am honestly not free to eat pizza crust or burger buns this week. I do not think they make matzo burger buns. It has been a remarkable few days. When I think of what I will not eat, I am reminded of all kinds of details of God's deliverance at Passover, of the blood of the lamb on the door posts. Of the blood of the Lamb who delivered me. Leaven, often a symbol of sin, is not to permeate my life as it permeates a donut. I am reminded that I am not free to do anything I want but to keep my life pure. It is true, I am no longer free to just ignore all that God has revealed in what we call the Old Testament. 

In addition I am no longer free to ignore the continuity of the Scriptures or the Hebraic nature of the New testament. I am not free to see the Apostle Paul as a "Christian". He was a Torah observant Messianic Jewish Rabbi. Thus, I am not free to see his teaching outside of that reality. That means I am not free to take for granted all that the commentators write about him. I am not free to accept that little editor's note in Acts 9 that speaks of Paul's conversion, for he never converted, he remained a Jew. 

For those of us who desire to take the the Word of God seriously, we are trapped in the matrix of Acts 17:11. Just what do the Scriptures say? 

On the other hand, I am free to study. To seek the truth without the artificial boundaries of Testaments and editors notes. I am free to commune with YAHWEH on those "Jewish" holy days and find new meaning within His Holy Word. I am free to appreciate the challenges that Paul faced as a Jewish Rabbi proclaiming Messiah to us Gentiles. I am free to know the Person of the Truth who loves me beyond measure and reveals Himself to me through His Word. It seems He does so in new ways with each day of study. I am free to join in the Apostle Paul's doxology,"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgements and His unfathomable are His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been His counselor? Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to Him again? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen" (Romans 11:33-36).

You are free to think I am a little bit crazy. I am free to ask if you want to join me in the company of the Bereans and search to see if these things are so. 

Maybe that bond servant thing isn't so restrictive after all. For He is indeed the Truth and the Truth has indeed set me free. He also is offering you such freedom. Want a free ticket to join in the journey? I think they are available in Acts 17:11.

No comments:

Post a Comment