Pages

Monday, July 30, 2018

No More Goodbyes

Can you imagine what it might be like to experience the reality of 1 Corinthians 13:12? The Apostle Paul writes these comforting and compelling words, "For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known." Oh, to see Him face to face! Yes, that will be glory for me. No more shrouds of sin or doubt. Just me and my Lord, standing face to face. It is a bit intimidating, however, I believe the overpowering presence of His love and grace will wash away that apprehension and like Mary Magdalene, I will cling to the one who rescued me from death and the pains of this world. But for now, like Bart Millard, of the band, "Mercy Me", I can only imagine what it will be like to be surrounded by His glory.

I have written before of some of the challenges of being called to a "people ministry". It comes with the joys and sorrows of sharing your heart with other human beings. It is a life filled with hello's and goodbye's. In the quiet moments, like now, sitting alone with my thoughts and computer at 2:00 a.m., I can reflect upon what the Lord has allowed, without interruption.  In forty years of ministry there have been many hellos and goodbyes. Some more permanent than others. Within the past fourteen days I have said goodbye to three remarkable and Godly women who were nearly old enough to be my mother and so deeply committed to the Lord that they serve as an example of what it is to walk with God. These goodbyes were difficult, yet not completely unexpected. Their race had been run, their course finished and the words, "Well done, My good and faithful servant", greeted them as they entered into glory. However, these are not the only goodbyes I have faced.

The other goodbyes ought to be easier for they are the ones that only involve location. We live in a society where that is simply a reality of life. Jobs change, people retire, family situations require moves and adjustments. We will promise to keep in touch and to touch base with facebook and emails, however, the human contact will be lost. The weekly hellos and smiles cannot be fully captured on Instagram or an attached photo to the text message. The humanness of the relationship will suffer loss. It simply cannot be avoided. And such is life. People come into your circle of ministry and become friends. You see them grow in grace and in their commitment to the Lord and His ministry, and then it is off to Kentucky, Florida, the Carolinas, Texas or some other place too many miles away to have that personal touch in life. It is true some just move across town or feel directed to another church fellowship, but, the loss is the same. Relationships come and grow and then often move on. It is to be expected and is somewhat understandable; it still carries that taste of losing something treasured. These are harder, for the loss lingers, knowing those relationships are just out of reach.

I have had brothers and sisters in Christ make those moves. Some on to glory, some across the country, some just down the road. Each one takes a little part of me and leaves a little hole that will not be filled this side of glory. Soon a young sister in the Lord, perhaps daughter is a more accurate term, will make such a move. Her dad, who knows the reality of 1 Corinthians 13:12, was far closer than a friend. She is more of a daughter than just another member of our church fellowship. I have watched her grow, and stumble, and then blossom in the wonder of God's grace as I have prayed for her. She will be a remarkable blessing in her new home and location. A little part of me will go with her, as it has with the others whose lives God has allowed me to share. It is one of those bittersweet moments of watching a butterfly stretch their wings and fly away to new horizons and new experiences with the Lord. Yet, life will be a little diminished for the parting. It always has been and it will always be that way if we allow our hearts to be knit to another for a time. It is not an easy thing but is is more rewarding than guarding your heart and finding you have lost the opportunity to love like Jesus loves.

Seeing Messiah face to face is my greatest anticipation when I arrive in glory. The second has been captured by a "Rascal Flatts" music video. "Here Comes Goodbye" is one of those emotionally powerful presentations that captures the reality of loss unlike most videos I have seen. For me, the greatest message of the video does not come from the song but from a scene at the end of the video. Looking toward eternity the question is asked, "What's it like?" The little boy replies, "There are no more goodbyes". Rascal Flatts, "Here Comes Goodbye". No more goodbyes. That too, will be glory for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment